Unchained Books April Announcements
We haven’t been so good about getting out email updates, so we thought we’d send one out now (and post it here, too) announcing a few different upcoming books-to-prisoners events here in sunny Fort Collins.
In this announcement:
1. btp work-party, April 10th
2. bake and book sale fundraiser, April 17th
3. btp work-party, April 24th
4. “How to get what you need and avoid the end of the world while spending some-$0″ (free stuff fair) at CSU, May 6th
1. First, we’re getting together on Saturday, April 10th for an all-afternoon work-party. We have lots of request letters to read and fill, and several boxes of books to sort and organize. We’ve been getting lots of great letters requesting all sorts of interesting books and subject areas, as well as a good variety of book donations. Stop on by anytime during the afternoon! The local Mennonite church, as part of their service learning adventure program, will be having several volunteers joining us–so, thank you!
Saturday, April 10
Unchained Books space
2. Then, on Saturday the 17th of April, we’re holding a bake and book sale fundraiser in Old Town. We’ll also have various zines, including prison-related texts, to distribute. All donations will go to the ever-present shipping costs we incur when mailing packages of books to people imprisoned in Colorado prisons.
If you’re interested in helping with this endeavor by baking tasty morsels, helping with the tabling in Old Town, or in any other capacity, please contact Unchained Books at email@example.com.
Bake and Book Sale Fundraiser
Saturday, April 17th
Old Town Square (near 10,000 Villages)
3. The next get-together for filling requests and packaging up books is on the 24th of April. Because we are just getting word about our project into a couple of prisons, we anticipate an increase in the number of requests we’ll be getting by the time of this work-party.
Expect a variety of hot drinks and snacks, so we can eat a bit while getting things done.
Saturday, April 24th
Unchained Books space
4. We’ve been invited to participate in the upcoming “How to get what you need and avoid the end of the world while spending some-$0″ on the CSU plaza on May 6th. We’re planning on having a table with information about the BTP project, materials for writing letters to political prisoners, and lots of free literature (and any other ideas folks come up with). We’re looking for people to help set up, table, and basically kick it with everyone else at the fair.
Free Shit Fair
Thursday, May 6
Thanks for taking the time to read through these announcements and happy spring!
for worlds without prisons,
p.s. We still have a couple of Certain Days: Freedom for Political Prisoner 2010 calendars left (we know….it’s already April!). They cost $12, $4 of which goes to Unchained Books and the rest to other great projects. They have beautiful artwork and all kinds of information about liberation movements and struggles; this year’s calendar focuses on indigenous resistance. Check it out here, and let us know if you’d like one.